1968 Single Harvest Tawny
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
Taylor Fladgate holds one of the most extensive reserves of very old cask aged Port of any producer. They include a collection of rare Single Harvest Ports. These are Ports from a single year which age to full maturity in seasoned oak casks and display the year of harvest on the label. Taylor Fladgate has decided to make a limited release, each year, of a Single Harvest Port made 50 years previously. The 1968 Single Harvest is the fifth in the series. The Taylor Fladgate Single Harvest Port is presented in the classic frosted bottle associated with Taylor Fladgate's celebrated range of Aged Tawny Ports and will be presented in a high quality wooden box.
The Winter of 1967/8 was warm and dry with a little rain in the early Spring. A very hot month of June caused some extreme dryness in all districts. Harvest started on September 30th on most of our vineyards. With the exception of one or two light showers and cloudy days, the weather remained sunny with cool nights throughout the harvest. Stalks were fairly green and the grape skins were thick and yields were low. Musts took more work than usual due mainly to the cool nights. Bunches in the better areas were free from disease.
World of Fine Wine
Deep chestnut color at the center surrounded by a broad amber rim. A mature, opulent plum-pudding nose, intense and powerful, with all elements in perfect harmony. Warm base notes of raisin and toffee mingle with a rich vanilla oakiness, aromas of walnut and marzipan and spicy hints of black pepper. The palate is round, concentrated and full of rich nutty, butterscotch flavor. Underpinning the smooth, dense texture is a finely-integrated acidity which provides an attractive freshness and lift into the long finish. A superb Single Harvest Tawny which delivers all the intense, mellow aromas of long ageing in oak casks while maintaining an attractive harmony and balance.
Figs, almonds, pecorino, apple pie, Comté cheese, Cornish game hens, pecan pie or even crème brulee.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinto Cão, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca
AGING: 50 years in neutral oak
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 173 g/L
points of distinction
- Taylor Fladgate holds one of the largest stocks of fine cask aged wine of any Port house. Taylor Fladgate is the leading brand in the aged Tawny market.
- A remarkable opportunity to experience a wine from half a century ago.
- Perfect for 50th anniversaries or birthdays.
about the grape +
Tempranillo makes dark wines that are lush and seductive, with intense aromas and flavors of black cherry, raspberry and currant, with plum and tobacco notes. Lighter wines show complex red fruits.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, Managing Director
"A 50th birthday or anniversary is a landmark occasion. Taylor Fladgate Single Harvest Ports offer a unique opportunity to celebrate with an extraordinary 50 year old wine in perfect condition"
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Chip Dry White Porto
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate Historical Collection Reserve Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion