1863 Single Harvest Tawny
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Cao & Tinta Amarela
The Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny will be offered in a specially-made crystal decanter presented in a superb wooden presentation box with a maple burl veneer. Each box contains a certificate personally signed by Taylor Fladgate’s Managing Director, Adrian Bridge.
The 1863 color is that of a deep mahogany core with a narrow amber-olive rim. On the nose, a succession of subtle spicy aromas opens up against a dense backdrop of treacle and molasses. Notes of sawn oak and vanilla give way to a spicy surge of nutmeg, black pepper and ginger. Gradually the rich, sumptuous aromas of age emerge: walnut, marzipan, butterscotch and mocha followed by rich figgy plumpudding notes. On the palate, the wine is in perfect balance, with sweetness and acidity in perfect harmony and beautifully integrated spirit. On the mid-palate the wine releases a burst of opulent mellow flavor which is lifted by a crisp acidity as it flows into the endless finish. This is a wine of extraordinary depth and background which continues to astonish with multiple layers and dimensions of aroma.
This Single Harvest Porto is a once-in-a-lifetime Porto that should be savored after a meal, alone or with nuts.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Cao & Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 9.51 g/L
AGING: Natural small oak casks
FORMATS AVAILABLE: 750 ml
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 224 g/L
points of distinction
- Tawny Port market is the fastest growing Port category in the United States
- Taylor Fladgate is considered the leader of the tawny market
- Taylor Fladgate holds the one of the largest stocks of fine cask aged wine of any Port house
- Bottled in a specially-made crystal decanter presented in a superb wooden box with a maple burl
- Regarded as the last great Port harvest before the spread of Phylloxera throughout the Douro Valley
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“Taylor Fladgate 1863 is an extraordinary Port which, having spent 15 decades in oak casks, may be one of the world’s only wines to survive from the pre-phylloxera era in faultless condition.”
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion