10 Year Old Tawny Porto
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
This superb example of aged tawny Porto is made from selected grapes from the best vineyards of the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior. Taylor Fladgate is an area leader in winemaking technology, as one of only three Porto producers to pioneer the development of piston fermenter techniques, called Port Toes, that extract significantly greater flavor and aroma than conventional pump-over fermentation. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. Individual wines produced in different vintages are aged in 600-liter oak casks for years, over which time they will lose their young, dark purple-black color to gain the distinctive “tawny” hue from which the wine takes its name. As tawnies age, the wines take on increasingly more nutty flavors and become more concentrated as the barrels lose 3% of their volume every year (the “Angels’ Share”) to evaporation. The 10 Year Old Tawny is a blend created using tawnies with an average of 10 years of aging.
Wine EnthusiastN/A vintage
With an intense amber tawny color, the wine has sweet, elegant apricot flavors, delicate wood notes and rich, seductive aromas of mature fruit. Full-bodied and highly concentrated.
Pairs well with figs, almonds, pecan pie, desserts made with coffee or caramel, and crème brûlée. It can also be served at the end of the meal with walnuts or dried fruit and it can be slightly chilled in the summer.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 4.5 g/l
AGING: Average of 10 years in neutral oak
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 105.23 g/l
points of distinction
- A tawny Porto with an average of 10 years of age—the most accessible and affordable aged tawny category
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– Adrian Bridge, CEO
“We focus on making vintage quality from all of our grapes. As a result, we will produce the highest-quality Port in every category.”
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1863 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view new Taylor Fladgate 1967 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1966 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1965 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 1964 Single Harvest Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 30 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Ruby
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Fine Tawny
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Porto
- quick view Taylor Fladgate Scion