Sonoma Valley Merlot
/ Sonoma Valley
The grapes come from estate vineyards in the Sonoma and Russian River valleys, as well as from growers in Sonoma County’s other top appellations, including Alexander Valley and Rockpile. All grapes are hand harvested, gently destemmed and crushed before cold soaking to extract optimal color and flavor. The fruit is then inoculated with many different yeast strains to build complexity, and fermented in separate lots using a combination of pump-overs and rack-and-return to soften tannins. The wine is matured in oak barrels.
Wine Enthusiast2014 vintage
Wine Spectator2013 vintage
This Merlot is smooth and elegant with classic flavors and aromas of cherry, chocolate and plum. Its silky structure is balanced by soft tannins and a bold, lengthy finish.
Excellent with beef, duck and blue cheese.
points of distinction
- A classic California Merlot with luscious hints of plum and chocolate
- Matured for 14 months in oak barrels for a complex flavor
vineyard details +
Sonoma Valley AVA
Sonoma Valley AVA is in southern Sonoma County, flanked by the Sonoma Mountains to the west and the Mayacamas to the east. The climate is moderated by the Pacific Ocean’s cool summer fogs and the influence of San Pablo Bay to the south. St. Francis owns 600 acres of carefully chosen, diverse Sonoma County vineyards. The winery’s estate vineyards give it complete control over growing and production, a cornerstone to St. Francis’ quality philosophy. Each of the four estate-owned vineyards has its own soil profile and unique mesoclimate that forms a “tapestry of terroirs” carefully matched to the grape varieties grown there.
about the grape +
Merlot makes plump, succulent wines to drink young or opulently massive wines for aging. Has silky, blackberry and currant fruit, with spice, earth, tobacco and chocolate notes, and soft tannins.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“Spicy, yet smooth and silky, this luscious wine pairs perfectly with any occasion."
- quick view new St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon