Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
/ Sonoma County
There are strict criteria in the vineyard for fruit to qualify as old vines Zinfandel. The vines must be at least 50 years old (many are as old as 100) and they must be dry farmed and head trained without the benefit of trellising. These ancient, head-pruned vines tend to produce small quantities of exceptionally concentrated fruit. The grapes are handpicked, crushed and then fermented in stainless steel tanks. After pressing, the wine is pumped into French and American oak barrels for aging, with additional bottle aging before release.
Wine Advocate2014 vintage
Wine Spectator2014 vintage
Deep aromas and flavors of ripe black cherries are laced with spice and toasted oak notes in this full-bodied wine of velvet tannins and a long finish.
Pair with barbecue, blue cheese and cheeseburgers.
points of distinction
- A classic old vines Zinfandel—fruit comes from 50- to 100-year-old vines
- Matured for 12 to 15 months in oak barrels for a complex flavor
- Excellent with barbecue
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Zinfandel shows ripe, sweet aromas and flavors of black fruits (plums, raisins, dates), with pepper, spice and chocolate notes.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“With its classic combination of ripe fruit and spice, this wine is a tribute to old vine Zinfandel.”
- quick view new St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma Valley Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Claret
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon