Sonoma County Claret
/ Sonoma County
Claret is the traditional British term for Bordeaux, and this wine is made up of the classic red varieties of the region: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. This blend changes with each vintage. Each variety is fermented separately and lots are kept separate for oak maturation, until blending takes place six months before bottling.
Wine Enthusiast2013 vintage
Sonoma County Harvest Fair2012 vintage
Displays aromas and flavors of currants, red and black berries and spice in a full-bodied wine with a velvety mouthfeel.
An excellent companion to roast beef, lamb, duck and aged cheeses.
points of distinction
- A classic claret (Bordeaux) blend of up to five different grapes
- Matured for 24 months in oak barrels for a complex flavor
vineyard details +
Sonoma County extends over 60,000 acres of vineyards and includes 15 unique AVAs, including Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, Bennett Valley, Carneros, Chalk Hill, Dry Creek Valley, Green Valley, Knights Valley, Rockpile and Russian River Valley. More than 50 grape varieties are planted in vineyards owned by over 750 growers and 260 wineries. Maritime-influenced conditions make this area notably cooler than Napa, further inland, and a multitude of beneficial soil types make Sonoma County a prime area for high quality wine growing.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
Merlot makes plump, succulent wines to drink young or opulently massive wines for aging. Has silky, blackberry and currant fruit, with spice, earth, tobacco and chocolate notes, and soft tannins.
– Katie Madigan, Winemaker
“Select grapes grown on Sonoma's finest vineyards, tended for intensity of flavor and aroma, handpicked and sorted to ensure that only the best are fermented and aged in French oak, will yield a wine of both richness and balance.”
- quick view new St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- quick view new St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma County Old Vines Zinfandel
- quick view St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Sonoma Valley Merlot
- quick view new St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Merlot
- quick view new St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Zinfandel
- quick view new St. Francis Winery & Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon