/ Colchagua Valley
The vineyards that produce the grapes for Alpha Malbec come from Apalta and Marchigüe estates in the Colchagua Valley. Both properties have soils of granitic origin with different degrees of decomposition and varying amounts of clay, depth, and organic matter. The Apalta estate is extremely diverse with zones that are highly influenced by the Tinguiririca River and others by mudslides and geological material that breaks off from the mountains above. The soils tend to be deep in the flat areas and shallower at the foot of the mountain and higher areas. The Malbec vineyards are located in zones with gentle slopes where the soils present a mixture of material from fluvial and alluvial origin, medium depths, and low moisture retention.
Wine Enthusiast2015 vintage
A deep ruby red color with an intense violet hue. The nose shows a perfect combination of potency and delicacy, with pronounced aromas of ripe red fruits such as sour cherries in syrup intermingled with a subtle fragrance of violets and wildflowers, while a touch of crème de cassis, jam, and anise appear on the backdrop to complete the aromatic profile characteristic of our Alpha Malbec. The generous palate has tremendous volume and a sensation of sweetness from aging in French oak barrels. The perfectly round tannins lend structure and a long, lingering finish.
This Malbec pairs very well with most red and white meats, although it has a special affinity with grilled pork and chicken, especially with barbecue sauce. It is also very good with beef stew, spicy beef, and Mexican mole dishes.
points of distinction
- Pioneered the way for all premium wines in Chile, remains #1 in the niche
- Awarded ‘Top Scoring’ and ‘Best Value’ by the influential, Wine Spectator magazine
- 50% aged in 1st, 2nd and 3rd use French oak barrels for 12 months
- Sweet on the palate, smooth, round tannins, which provide structure and volume
- Vineyards in Apalta and Marchigüe, Colchagua Valley
about the grape +
Well-made Malbec is a dark, perfumed wine with rich, blackberry and damson plum fruit, aromas of violets and tobacco, and ripe, juicy tannins. In France, may be mineral, structured and austere.
- quick view new Montes Classic Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Montes Classic Malbec
- quick view new Montes Classic Merlot
- quick view new Montes Classic Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view new Montes Classic Chardonnay
- quick view new Montes Cabernet Sauvignon-Carmenère
- quick view new Montes Limited Selection Pinot Noir
- quick view new Montes Limited Selection Carmenère
- quick view new Montes Limited Selection Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view new Montes Twins Red Blend
- quick view new Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Montes Alpha Syrah
- quick view new Montes Alpha Pinot Noir
- quick view new Montes Alpha Carmenère
- quick view new Montes Alpha Chardonnay
- quick view new Montes Alpha Merlot
- quick view new Montes Alpha M
- quick view new Montes Folly
- quick view new Montes Purple Angel
- quick view new Montes Taita