Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon
/ Colchagua Valley
The Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards that produce the grapes for Montes Alpha are located in the Colchagua Valley, primarily at our Finca Apalta, and with some additions from our Marchigüe property. These two areas have soils of granitic origin in differing degrees of decomposition. Both have considerable variation in the clay content, depth, and organic matter. Apalta is very heterogeneous. Some sectors are highly influenced by the river, while others are more affected by mudslides and material that has broken off from the mountains above them. The soils are generally deep in the flat areas and thinner at the foot of the mountains and at higher elevations. The Cabernet Sauvignon is preferably planted on flat or slightly sloping ground, where the soil is deeper and has a moderate capacity for moisture retention.
Wine Spectator2013 vintage
Deep and intense violet-red in color. The complex and aromatic nose features a predominance of ripe red and black fruits such as figs and blackberries, along with notes of crème de cassis and spicy black pepper notes, all over a backdrop of tobacco. Confectionary aromas intermingle with dark chocolate notes from aging in French oak. The palate is very well balanced and has generous volume, rich acidity, and very round tannins that lend structure and a sweet sensation, ending on a long, elegant finish.
Highly recommended with red meats, Mongolian beef, spaghetti with Bolognese sauce, and lambchops with Cabernet and mushroom sauce.
points of distinction
- Pioneered the way for all premium wines in Chile, remains #1 in the niche.
- Awarded ‘Top Scoring’ and ‘Best Value’ by the influential, Wine Spectator magazine.
- 55% aged in 1st, 2nd and 3rd use French oak barrels for 12 months.
- Perfectly round tannins that trigger an explosion of fruit.
- Vineyards in Apalta and Marchigüe, Colchagua Valley.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
- quick view new Montes Classic Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view new Montes Classic Malbec
- quick view new Montes Classic Merlot
- quick view new Montes Classic Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view new Montes Classic Chardonnay
- quick view new Montes Cabernet Sauvignon-Carmenère
- quick view new Montes Limited Selection Pinot Noir
- quick view new Montes Limited Selection Carmenère
- quick view new Montes Limited Selection Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view new Montes Twins Red Blend
- quick view new Montes Alpha Malbec
- quick view new Montes Alpha Syrah
- quick view new Montes Alpha Pinot Noir
- quick view new Montes Alpha Carmenère
- quick view new Montes Alpha Chardonnay
- quick view new Montes Alpha Merlot
- quick view new Montes Alpha M
- quick view new Montes Folly
- quick view new Montes Purple Angel
- quick view new Montes Taita