Tortoniano is named for the tortonian-era soils in which the vines are planted, which contain a high percentage of magnesium and manganese. Grape clusters are thinned and are harvested somewhat later than usual so that the fruit attains higher concentration. Temperatures are strictly controlled during vinification and the wine is aged for two years in large oak casks and one year in bottle before release.
Wine Enthusiast2012 vintage
The wine shows layered aromas and flavors of mint, red fruit and spices. There palate shows bright acidity and silky tannins before a long finish.
This wine is a superlative pairing for roasts, game and hard cheeses.
points of distinction
- Matured for 12 months in oak casks for greater complexity
- Grapes come from select vineyards of growers with whom the Chiarlo family has dealt for generations.
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Michele Chiarlo Asili Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view new Michele Chiarlo Cipressi Barbera Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Il Principe Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cannubi Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme 16 Months Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Barolo
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Barbera
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Palás Grappa di Nebbiolo da Barolo