Dating back to the 1700s, the oldest single vineyard, or cru, within the commune of Barolo is Cannubi. Of the five parcels that form Cannubi, the most esteemed is Cannubi proper, where Michele Chiarlo owns 4.5 acres of vines that are more than 20 years old. Chiarlo’s Cannubi plot is the first Barolo vineyard planted to terraces, which were created to maximize an exceptional hillside exposure with a more than 50-degree gradient. In winemaking, after high-temperature fermentation on the skins, the wine is aged in 700-liter oak tonneaux and in bottle before release.
Wine Enthusiast2007 vintage
Wine Spectator2007 vintage
Garnet red with tawny highlights, the wine has licorice and spice aromas and flavors on an elegant full body with the firm tannins typical of this vineyard.
Great pairings for this wine are red meat dishes, game and ripe, hard cheeses.
points of distinction
- A stellar example of single vineyard Barolo from the oldest Barolo cru
- Matured two years in oak barrels and one year in bottle before release
about the grape +
Young Nebbiolo can be tough, acidic and tannic; but mature, its blackberry and wild cherry flavors and aromas develop complex and sublime violet, rose petal, truffle and tar notes.
– Michele Chiarlo, Winemaker
“My aim has always been but one: quality.”
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo La Court Barbera d'Asti Superiore Nizza DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Reyna Barbaresco DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Orme Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Madri Roero Arneis DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Le Marne Gavi DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti DOCG
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Moscato
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Gavi
- quick view Michele Chiarlo Grappa di Nebbiolo