Masi Cru wines come from single vineyard (cru) sites selected by Masi from trails that began in the 1950s. Cru wines are reference point wines from the finest terroirs in Valpolicella. The historic Mazzano vineyard has been renowned for quality since the 12th Century, and its austere, majestic wine is a prototypical Amarone. Production is extremely limited and made only in the best years. Within Negrar commune, this vineyard has northeast/southwest exposure, an elevation of 350-415 metres, and brown soil of eocenic marls. Wide terraces are supported by natural, stone walls called ‘marogne.’
Amarone is made with the ancient method of 'appassimento' (drying of the grapes). The best bunches are dried on bamboo racks in farmhouse lofts with natural ventilation. By mid-February, the grapes weigh 35-40% less and are partially affected by botrytis due to cooler conditions. After delicate pressing, the dried grapes are partially destalked, fermented in large Slavonian oak botti, at very cold, natural temperatures until the sugar has completely transformed to alcohol, and malolactic occurs. Most of the wine is aged in 30-40 hl Slavonian oak botti; a portion is matured in 600-liter Slavonian and Allier oak casks; 1st, 2nd and 3rd usage, before a period in bottle.
Wine Advocate2009 vintage
This dark, ruby red wine has bold, elegant and austere aromas of violets, plums, incense, vanilla, candied fruit and cocoa. Palate flavors of plums, bitter and sweet cherries, candied fruit and hazelnut chocolate are full-bodied, soft and dry, before a long finish.
Pairs well with red meats, game, quail and full-flavored dishes, as well as strong cheeses like parmesan and pecorino. Is also a great after-dinner wine.
points of distinction
- Masi's Cru wines are reference point wines, from terroirs identified as the finest within Valpolicella.
- This austere, majestic wine is a prototypical Amarone and benefits from aging in small oak barrels.
- Production is extremely limited and made only in the best years.
- Mazzano can age 35-40 years.
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio e Verduzzo delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Tupungato Passo Doble Rosso di Argentina
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT