Costasera’s slopes face the sunset, making this the best terroir for producing high-quality Amarone in Valpolicella Classico. With a longer day, vines that face Lake Garda bask in reflected light, receiving more sunlight, with soft breezes. Since the 1960s, Masi experts have confirmed the superiority of west-facing sites. To produce this unique Amarone, Masi combines ancient varieties (Corvina, Rondinella and Molinara) and winemaking methods (vinifying grapes semi-dried on racks for 3-4 months) with the latest techniques: bamboo racks in temperature- and humidity-controlled conditions induce natural drying; selective exposure to botrytis cinerea (‘noble rot’); strictly-controlled fermentations through the use of Saccharomyces bayanus, a rare yeast that produces high alcohol. Aged for 24 months, 80% in 40-80 hectoliter Slavonian oak barrels and 20% in small Allier and Slavonian oak barrels (40% new, 30% 1 year old, 30% 2 year old) before a minimum 4 months in bottle.
Tasting Panel2012 vintage
Wine & Spirits2012 vintage
This deep ruby-red wine has powerful, complex aromas of dried plums and balsamic (anise, fennel, mint) traces. Quite dry (not sweet) on the palate, soft and with bright acidity, the wine shows flavors of baked cherry, chocolate and cinnamon. Structured but noble, delicate tannins precede a long finish.
Amarone is a full-bodied wine for grilled or roasted red meats, game, and hard cheeses, such as parmesan. Considered a wine for meditation, to be quietly pondered over and sipped on its own, it’s also the perfect after-dinner wine.
points of distinction
- Costasera’s slopes face the sunset, making this the best terroir in Valpolicella Classico for producing high-quality Amarone.
- With a longer day, vines that face Lake Garda bask in reflected light, receiving more sunlight, with soft breezes.
- Blending traditional and modern winemaking, Costasera’s unique personality is a complex, modern Amarone joined with an ancient, majestic pedigree.
- Can age 30-35 years.
- Amarone is made with the ancient Roman wine-making method of "appassimento."
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Campolongo di Torbe Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio e Verduzzo delle Venezie DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Masi Agricola Tupungato Passo Doble Rosso di Argentina
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT