Masi Cru wines come from single vineyard (cru) sites that have been selected by Masi from trials that began in the 1950s. Cru wines are reference point wines, crafted from fruit grown in terroirs identified as the finest within Valpolicella. Each vineyard imparts unique, distinctive characteristics to its wine. The historic Campolongo di Torbe vineyard has been renowned for quality since the 12th Century, and its wine is the most elegant of Masi’s cru wines. Production is extremely limited and made only in the best years. Within Negrar commune, this vineyard has southwest exposure, an elevation of 375-400 metres, good ventilation, and soil that is deep, red eocenic limestone, with good drainage, plentiful stones, and beneficial mineral content. Wide terraces are supported by natural, stone walls called ‘marogne.’
Amarone is made with the ancient method of "appassimento" (drying of the grapes). Bunches are dried on bamboo racks in farmhouse lofts in the vineyard, with natural ventilation. By mid-February, the grapes weigh 35-40% less; only Corvina is affected by botrytis. After delicate pressing, the dried grapes are partially destalked, fermented in large Slavonian oak botti, at very cold, natural temperatures until the sugar has completely transformed to alcohol, and malolactic occurs. Most of the wine is aged in 30-40 hl Slavonian oak botti; a portion is matured in 600-liter Slavonian and Allier oak casks; new and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th usage, before a period in bottle.
Wine & Spirits2009 vintage
This deep ruby-red wine has alluringly fruity and sweet aromas, with notes of raisins, cocoa, vanilla, cherries, spices and fruits preserved in spirits. Full-bodied and powerful, sweet flavors are harmonious and concentrated, with warm nuances and a long, seductive finish.
Ideal by itself after dinner, and a good pairing with red meats, game and quail. Excellent with mature cheeses like parmesan and pecorino, and in softer vintages, is a great match with gorgonzola.
points of distinction
- Masi's Cru wines are reference point wines, from terroirs identified as the finest within Valpolicella.
- The most elegant of Masi’s cru wines, full-bodied and balanced, with bold aromas of cherries, raisined dark fruits and baked plum and bitter almond notes.
- Production is extremely limited and made only in the best years.
- Campolongo di Torbe can age 35-40 years.
about the grape +
Corvina has bright, relatively delicate cherry fruit flavors, with high acidity and pronounced aromas of cherry, bitter almond and spice.
“Masi wines must have a recognizable character, a unique style, and be approachable and pleasant to drink.” – RAFFAELE BOSCAINI, GENERAL COORDINATOR OF MASI TECHNICAL GROUP
- quick view Masi Agricola Mazzano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG
- quick view Masi Agricola Riserva di Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Serego Alighieri Vaio Armaron Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view new Masi Agricola Rosa dei Masi
- quick view Masi Agricola Masianco Pinot Grigio e Verduzzo delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Brolo Campofiorin Oro Rosso del Veronese IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Tupungato Passo Doble Rosso di Argentina
- quick view Masi Agricola Bonacosta Valpolicella Classico DOC
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Rosso delle Venezie IGT
- quick view Masi Agricola Modello Bianco delle Venezie IGT