Terra Bella Organic Reserve Porto
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
Terra Bella is the first 100% organic Porto certified by USDA NOP and one of the first truly organic Portos to be developed in the Douro. Winemaker David Guimaraens and his viticultural team grow the fruit based on knowledge obtained from a plot that was introduced by the late Bruce Guimaraens, which has been organically farmed at Fonseca’s Quinta do Panascal since 1992. In the winery, the newly developed, robotic “Port Toes” technology for treading the grapes allows the winery to maximize the quality of the fruit by imitating the traditional action of human feet and avoiding damage to the bitter grape seeds. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. A ruby-style Porto blended from reserve wines selected for their intense depth of color and fruit character, Terra Bella is aged for four years in neutral wood vats before bottling.
Decanter World Wine AwardsN/A vintage
This Porto has an opulent black fruit nose that carries through on the palate in layers of intense, sweet berry, plum and cherry fruit flavors supported by firm but well-integrated tannins. This is a deliciously textured Reserve Porto—velvety, smooth, succulent and plump.
Pairs beautifully with flourless chocolate cake as well as blue cheeses.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 3.86 g/l
AGING: 4 years in neutral oak
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 96.8 g/l
points of distinction
- The first 100% organic Porto certified by USDA NOP
- One of the first truly organic Portos to be developed in the Douro
- A ruby-style Porto aged for four years, for increased harmony and complexity of flavor
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“My team and I strive to bring the very best performance out of our vineyards by careful nurturing of the vines, combined with the very best winemaking techniques available.”
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Porto
- quick view Fonseca Late Bottled Vintage Porto (Unfiltered)
- quick view Fonseca 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca Fine Ruby
- quick view Fonseca Fine Tawny
- quick view Fonseca Siroco Extra Dry
- quick view Fonseca Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Vintage Porto
- quick view new Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Limited Edition Tin (Holiday 2016)