Quinta do Panascal Vintage Porto
/ Douro Valley Porto
The famous vineyard of Quinta do Panascal has been recognized for the quality of its fruit since the 1700s. A southwest-facing vineyard, it creates the big, opulent, fruit driven wines that make Fonseca so sought after. Single quinta vintage wines such as this are made in years when a general vintage is not declared, but the individual vineyard has produced exceptional fruit. The fruit for Fonseca’s single quinta vintage Portos is foot-trodden in granite lagares on the estate. The wine is aged for two years in vats before being bottled unfiltered.
Wine Magazine2004 vintage
Wine & Spirits2008 vintage
This wine shows fresh, rich blackberry and cassis aromas. It is velvety on the palate, with a well knit structure and a touch of cocoa before a long finish.
This wine pairs well with blue cheese and desserts made with dark chocolate or berries. It should be decanted before serving due to sediment in the bottle.
points of distinction
- A single quinta vintage wine, made in the best years in which a regular vintage is not declared
- Produced from the fruit of a single quinta: Fonseca’s famous Quinta do Panascal
- A collectible wine that will develop for decades in the bottle
vineyard details +
Quinta do Panascal
In 1978, Fonseca acquired Quinta do Panascal, whose reputation goes back to the 18th century, when wines from the Tavora Valley in Cima Corgo, where the vineyard is located, were considered among the finest-quality wines of Portugal. The company later expanded the vineyard by acquiring the neighboring Quinta do Val dos Muros. At present, 109 of its 188 acres are planted, principally to Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz. In high-quality but non-declared vintages, fruit from Quinta do Panascal is used to produce a single-quinta vintage Porto.
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“My team and I strive to bring the very best performance out of our vineyards by careful nurturing of the vines, combined with the very best winemaking techniques available.”
- quick view new Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Porto
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Fonseca Terra Bella Organic Reserve Porto
- quick view Fonseca Late Bottled Vintage Porto (Unfiltered)
- quick view Fonseca 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca Fine Ruby
- quick view Fonseca Fine Tawny
- quick view Fonseca Siroco Extra Dry
- quick view Fonseca Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Limited Edition Tin (Holiday 2018)