Late Bottled Vintage Porto (Unfiltered)
/ Douro Valley Porto
Fonseca’s three vineyards—Quinta do Panascal, Quinta de Cruzeiro and Quinta de Santo António—all form the backbone of Fonseca’s Late Bottled Vintage Portos, produced in excellent years when a general vintage is not declared. In the winery, the newly developed, robotic “Port Toes” technology for treading the grapes allows the winery to maximize the quality of the fruit by imitating the traditional action of human feet and avoiding damage to the bitter grape seeds. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. The wine is then matured in neutral oak and bottled without filtration to allow further evolution in the bottle.
Wine Spectator2005 vintage
Decanter World Wine Awards2007 vintage
This wine shows fresh, black fruit and dark cherry aromas and flavors, with spice notes. This concentrated, structured wine has great volume and mouthfeel, with fine length on the finish.
An excellent pairing with full-flavored cheeses, especially blue cheeses, and with dark chocolate or fresh berry desserts. This wine is unfiltered and should be decanted because of sediment in the bottle.
points of distinction
- A Late Bottled Vintage Porto made from fruit from Fonseca’s own estate vineyards
- Produced in high quality vintages in which a general vintage is not declared
- Offers many of the characteristics of vintage Porto, but is ready to drink sooner than vintage
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“My team and I strive to bring the very best performance out of our vineyards by careful nurturing of the vines, combined with the very best winemaking techniques available.”
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Porto
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Fonseca Terra Bella Organic Reserve Porto
- quick view Fonseca 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca Fine Ruby
- quick view Fonseca Fine Tawny
- quick view Fonseca Siroco Extra Dry
- quick view Fonseca Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Vintage Porto