Guimaraens Vintage Port
/ Douro Valley Porto
Guimaraens Vintage Ports are made in certain years when a classic Fonseca Vintage is not declared and are generally more supple and approachable when young. An excellent choice for early drinking, they nevertheless have the depth and stamina to mature in bottle. Guimaraens is crafted from grapes sourced from three of Fonseca’s most prized estates. In the Tavora Valley, Quinta do Panascal is one of the most highly reputed Port vineyards. Cruzeiro, on the east bank of the Pinhão River, has been supplying Fonseca since the 1870s and its wines have contributed to the firm’s Vintage Port blends since 1912. Close by, Santo Antonio has been highly rated since the 1761 classification of port vineyards and is the site of award winning work in sustainable viticulture.
World of Fine Wine1977 vintage
Wine Advocate2015 vintage
The Guimaraens 2013 displays the opulent fruit character which defines the Fonseca house style. The nose opens with a surge of powerful woodland aroma, rich and succulent but not over-ripe. Hints of apricot emerge, followed by warmer notes of cedar, wood smoke and dark chocolate. Discreet floral and herbal scents contribute additional complexity. The palate abounds with rich dark berry flavors while dense, compact tannins provide impressive volume and weight. Deceptively velvety on the mid-palate, the tannins emerge with a firm, confident grip on the finish. An attractive choice for early drinking, the Guimaraens has the background and stamina to ensure a long life in bottle.
Blue cheese, aged cheeses, desserts made with dark chocolate or berries, nuts or dried fruits.
points of distinction
- A Vintage Porto crafted when a declaration is not made.
- Made from fruit grown in Fonseca’s own estate vineyards.
- A collectible Porto that will develop for decades in the bottle.
about the grape +
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“My team and I strive to bring the very best performance out of our vineyards by careful nurturing of the vines, combined with the very best winemaking techniques available.”
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Porto
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Fonseca Terra Bella Organic Reserve Porto
- quick view Fonseca Late Bottled Vintage Porto (Unfiltered)
- quick view Fonseca 10 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca Fine Ruby
- quick view Fonseca Fine Tawny
- quick view Fonseca Siroco Extra Dry
- quick view Fonseca Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Vintage Porto
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Limited Edition Tin (Holiday 2016)