10 Year Old Tawny Porto
/ Douro Valley Porto
Grapes: Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Touriga Franca, Tinta Amarela
Fonseca’s aged tawny Portos are made from fruit sourced primarily in Fonseca’s estate vineyards. In the winery, the newly developed, robotic “Port Toes” technology for treading allows the winery to maximize the quality of the fruit by mimicking the gentle action of human feet during traditional foot treading. Fermentation is halted by the addition of grape spirits before all the residual sugar has been fermented, creating a sweet, fortified wine. Each year, a portion of this ruby wine is set aside according to its aging potential to be added to Fonseca’s stocks for blending. The wine is aged in 600-liter neutral oak barrels, considerably smaller than those used for Ruby Portos. The increased surface area allows a young, dark Porto to develop the delicious apricot and fig flavors with nutty nuances expected of an aged tawny. Fonseca cellars its aged tawnies upriver in the Douro rather than in Vila Nova de Gaia near the river’s mouth; the considerable difference in heat and humidity between these two areas lends Fonseca’s aged tawny Portos a very distinctive “baked” richness reminiscent of butterscotch. The 10 Year Old Tawny is a blend of wines, selected from these stocks, that have been aged for an average of 10 years.
This wine is russet with brilliant crimson highlights and ripe black fruit and butterscotch aromas. A smooth, silky texture and subtle oak nuances with fresh acidity and smooth tannins culminate in a long, elegant finish.
Excellent with dried fruit, pecans and walnuts. Made to be enjoyed immediately.
GRAPES: Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão, Touriga Franca, Tinta Amarela
ACIDITY: 4.73 g/l
AGING: Average of 10 years in neutral oak
RESIDUAL SUGAR: 106.7 g/l
points of distinction
- An aged tawny style of Porto
- Made from wines aged an average of 10 years, for complexity and concentration, with a typical nutty savor
about the grape +
Tinta Amarela makes wines with intensely perfumed aromas of blackberry and tea, bold structure, deep color and excellent depth.
Used to make Port wines, this high yielding grape has very high sugar content, which makes wines with pronounced floral character, good structure and firm, ripe tannins.
This grape has blackberry, game and meaty aromas, and contributes longevity and exceptional elegance to the blend of Port wines.
Tinta Roriz produces deep-colored grapes of moderate acidity which make bold wines with firm tannins, excellent complexity and distinctive resin-like fragrance.
This grape has high tannins and is very aromatic; it lends structure and balance to Port wines. It shows intense fresh red fruit, earth and flower aromas, and is very fruity on the palate.
Touriga Nacional produces wine with finesse, body and warmth that is dark, concentrated, massively tannic and aromatic. It ages to show the complex aromas typically found in mature vintage port.
– David Guimaraens, Winemaker
“My team and I strive to bring the very best performance out of our vineyards by careful nurturing of the vines, combined with the very best winemaking techniques available.”
- quick view Fonseca BIN 27 Porto
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Fonseca Terra Bella Organic Reserve Porto
- quick view Fonseca Late Bottled Vintage Porto (Unfiltered)
- quick view Fonseca 20 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca 40 Year Old Tawny Porto
- quick view Fonseca Fine Ruby
- quick view Fonseca Fine Tawny
- quick view Fonseca Siroco Extra Dry
- quick view Fonseca Classic Vintage Porto
- quick view Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Vintage Porto
- quick view new Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port
- quick view new Fonseca BIN 27 Limited Edition Tin (Holiday 2016)