Alberello trained (bush trained) vines are an average 20 years old, and have been planted with a southern exposure at 250 feet elevation, situated about one mile from the sea. To encourage aromatic depth and flavor complexity, grape yields are low: 3.75 tons/acre. In the spring, the vines are pruned to one bud per plant, and in June/July, a green harvest is performed to eliminate lesser grapes. Twenty days prior to harvest, the vines go through an additional cluster thinning, or a selection of the best grapes in the bunch.
Wine Spectator2017 vintage
With a straw yellow and gold color, the wine shows intriguing and intense floral aromas, with notes of citrus, peach, almonds and sweet grass. Quite full in the mouth, the wine has rich flavors with depth, balance and freshness.
Pairs well with seafood, delicately flavored first courses, white meats and grilled fish. This wine stands up well to spices, especially Asian.
points of distinction
- Feudo Maccari’s vineyards have calcareous, lime-rich soils that are best suited for making wines with great minerality and freshness.
- Wines like this that show high acidity are great compliments to most foods.
- The vineyard’s close proximity to the sea, the hot temperatures driven by hot winds and the alberello vine training are all optimal growing conditions for Grillo, which has thrived here for millennia.
about the grape +
This grape makes a wine straw-yellow and gold in color, with intriguing, intensely floral aromas and notes of citrus, peach, almonds and sweet grass. In the mouth, the wine is full, with rich, deep flavors, balance and freshness.
– Antonio Moretti, Owner
“A land of extreme sensations, perfumes, colors, extreme light and tastes, all at their maximum expression.”
- quick view Feudo Maccari Rosé IGP
- quick view Feudo Maccari Mahâris Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Saia Sicilia DOC
- quick view Feudo Maccari Nero d’Avola IGP
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animardente Etna DOC
- quick view new Feudo Maccari Contrada Santo Spirito Animalucente Etna DOC