Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
/ Hawkes Bay
Gimblett Gravels Vineyard’s stony soils keep the growth and cropping of the old clone Syrah vines in check and provide warmth in the autumn, both critical factors in developing the enormous character and presence of this wine. The grapes are hand harvested and destemmed before undergoing fermentation in open-top oak vessels. The wine is matured in oak barrels before bottling.
Wine Spectator2009 vintage
The earth, fruits and florals all get expression here—scorched earth, dark plum, and herbs combine for an incredibly intense and complex bouquet. The palate is multilayered, with dry tannins, good acidic structure and integrated oak notes.
This wine pairs best with wild game dishes.
points of distinction
- Like southern Rhône vineyards, Gimblett Gravels is covered by stones that absorb the day's heat to radiate it at night, promoting exceptional ripeness.
- Shows alluring, Rhône-style aromas and flavors of blue and black fruits, exotic spices and black pepper.
- Red wines from the Gimblett Gravels vineyard have a rich, ripe and elegant style, and fine tannins.
- Le Sol is Wine Advocate’s highest scoring New Zealand wine and its only New Zealand wine to be rated over 95 points.
about the grape +
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Steve Smith, Director of Wine and Viticulture
“Craggy Range Winery provides the singular experience of tasting New Zealand terroir with every sip. By selecting and sourcing the finest vineyards in New Zealand and planting them with only those vines perfectly suited to the specific parcels of earth, Craggy Range crafts wines that truly speak of where they come from.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Muna Road Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard