Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
The cool but sunny environment of the Kidnappers Vineyard near Hawkes Bay and its shallow, warm clay loam soils allow the development of intense Chardonnay flavors in the grapes, which are captured using the traditional winemaking techniques of the Chablis region of France. Grapes are hand harvested and whole-bunch pressed before undergoing fermentation in stainless steel, closed oak tanks and new French oak puncheons. The wine is matured on the lees in oak barrels before bottling.
Wine Spectator2008 vintage
Shows lemon zest, almond, and mineral aromas and flavors, with a coastal acidity and freshness. This medium-weight, textured wine has a remarkable length of flavor.
A delicious companion to a variety of shellfish dishes.
points of distinction
- This cool climate wine's juicy, bright and fresh aromas and flavors are a perfect compliment to shellfish and seafood.
- In the traditional Chablis style, this wine is made from whole clusters, and is fermented and aged in stainless steel tank, large French oak vats and puncheons.
- This single-vineyard Chardonnay has an elegant, balanced and refined character.
vineyard details +
Kidnappers Vineyard is located at Cape Kidnappers on the Hawkes Bay coastline, where spring and autumn are warm and sunny and the summer is tempered by the cooling sea breeze. The shallow, warm clay loam soils and careful selection of clones in this environment allow the development of very pure, cool flavors in the Chardonnay grown there.
about the grape +
Though it has a distinctive profile, Chardonnay reflects other factors such as soil composition and vinification technique. Chardonnay is a reliable, hardy and prolific vine whose only real vulnerabilities are frost and uneven development of fruit.
– Steve Smith, Director of Wine and Viticulture
“Craggy Range Winery provides the singular experience of tasting New Zealand terroir with every sip. By selecting and sourcing the finest vineyards in New Zealand and planting them with only those vines perfectly suited to the specific parcels of earth, Craggy Range crafts wines that truly speak of where they come from.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Muna Road Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Winery Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard