Gimblett Gravels Vineyard Syrah
/ Hawkes Bay
The gravel soils, combined with the warm, sundrenched climate, make Gimblett Gravels Vineyard an ideal terroir for Syrah. Grapes boast concentrated fruit flavors and a distinct vibrancy expressed in the wine. Fruit is hand harvested and destemmed before undergoing fermentation in stainless steel tanks. The wine is matured in oak barriques for 16 months before bottling.
Wine Spectator2010 vintage
Wine Spectator2010 vintage
Ripe fresh cherry melds with floral honeysuckle and lavender notes and black pepper. The satin like texture gives way to fleshy, vibrant blueberry fruit. The palate finishes with some charcoal and flint to add mineral interest and complexity.
Excellent with steak or grilled read meats.
points of distinction
- An especially vibrant Syrah from Gimblett Gravel Vineyard's ideally-matched terroir
- Matured in oak barriques for 16 months
vineyard details +
Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
Within Hawke's Bay there are pockets of austere, gravelly soil perfectly suited to Bordeaux varieties. Gimblett Gravels, an 850-hectare region, is the warmest vineyard area in the country. Average summer temperatures are only a degree or two cooler than Napa's Oakville district. The warmth is enhanced by rock beds over 90 feet deep which act as incubators at night, releasing heat absorbed from the sun during the day. The effect is a terroir in which Cabernet, and particularly Merlot, consistently achieve a level of ripeness seldom attainable elsewhere in New Zealand. In the Gimblett Gravels region, Craggy Range has carved out the 100-hectare Gimblett Gravels Vineyard for red and white Bordeaux varieties and Syrah. The narrow-row vine architecture is planted to a very intensive density of between 1,400 and 2,100 vines per acre, with several plots trained low to the ground to benefit completely from the thermal conductivity and reflectiveness of the soils. Extensive deep soil preparations encourage deeply rooted vines to reach veins of sand, silt and clay immersed far into the gravel, and drip irrigation is applied only when required. Thirty-six varietal plots have been matched to the variations in depth and texture of the gravelly soils of the meandering old stream beds of the Ngaruroro River.
about the grape +
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Matt Stafford, Chief Winemaker
I am fortunate to lead an extraordinary group of people who want to be part of creating something truly magnificent that successive generations can admire and enjoy for years to come. I love our great estates and feel a strong connection to their complexities and subtleties.
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Martinborough Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Aroha Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Road Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Kidnappers Vineyard Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Te Muna Road Vineyard Pinot Noir
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Sophia Gimblett Gravels Vineyard
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Craggy Range Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard