Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge Private Reserve 2007
Grapes: Grenache Noir, Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsault
The terroir is typical for the region: vineyards run along a slope, at the top of which the vines dig their roots into soils of sandy-clay. On the surface there is a layer of the famous galets (large, round, well-worn stones that originated in the alps) having been carried down to the rhône by the glaciers of previous ice ages. The farther down the slope of the vineyard one travels, the more these stones dominate. All 13 of the permitted primary varietals are planted. Grenache dominates 62% of vineyards and the vines average over 40 years old. The wine is aged 12 months in a combination (50/50) of small French oak barrels and large French oak casks (‘Foudres’) and blending takes place shortly before bottling.
The year 2007 was certainly one of the best vintages in the Southern Rhône for the last decade. A wet spring was followed by a dry, hot summer with little rainfall and a strong Mistral helped ward off disease, while growers delayed harvesting as long as possible to ensure ripe tannins. The Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge Private Reserve greatly benefitted from the inclusion of Cuvée des Cadettes in the blend. 62% was barrel-aged and the rest spent time in large wooden Foudres before blending.
Dark red, with a purple border. The nose is rich, pure, and complex, with notes of black fruits and sweet spices. On the palate, lots of roundness, with soft refined tannins. Finish is long, with notes of black cherry, black berry, and a silky texture. A feeling of youth and freshness emerges. Some aromas from the oak ageing are visible with hints of spices and roasting. A wine with great cellaring potential and with an impressive aromatic expression.
An ideal accompaniment to winter casseroles and most red meat dishes, particularly game dishes such as wild boar or beef and lamb. Beef bourguignon is an equally nice pairing.
GRAPES: Grenache Noir, Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsault
points of distinction
- Perfect for celebrating 10 year anniversaries
- Produced by one of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest and most storied estates
- Certified AB Organic – protecting the environment since 1998
- Estate grown, hand harvested, estate bottled
- Average vine age – 40 years
about the grape +
Ripe and meaty over elegant, with rose and almond notes, Cinsault’s relatively low tannins typically relegate it to blends with other varieties, as with Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Tavel Rosé.
Grenache is loaded with dense, lusty aromas and flavors of black cherry, blackcurrant, jam, pepper and licorice, with a palate-coating texture and high alcohol.
Mourvèdre makes big, meaty, rustic wines high in alcohol, acidity and tannin, with moderate black fruit characters. Shows aromas and flavors of wild Provençal herbs, leather, mushrooms and barnyard.
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Ralph Garcin, Winemaker
One of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest estates, archives affirm Château La Nerthe’s existence as early as 1560 and suggest an even more distant past dating to the dawn of the region’s wine culture in the 12th century.
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Cuvée des Cadettes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Clos de Beauvenir Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Villages
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Rosé
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Prieuré de Montézargues Tavel