Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge Private Reserve 2007
Grapes: 48% Grenache, 22% Mourvedre, 29% Syrah, 0.5% Cinsault, 0.5% Other
The terroir is typical for the region: vineyards run along a slope, at the top of which the vines dig their roots into soils of sandy-clay. On the surface there is a layer of the famous galets (large, round, well-worn stones that originated in the alps) having been carried down to the rhône by the glaciers of previous ice ages. The farther down the slope of the vineyard one travels, the more these stones dominate. All 13 of the permitted primary varietals are planted. Grenache dominates 62% of vineyards and the vines average over 40 years old. The wine is aged 12 months in a combination (50/50) of small French oak barrels and large French oak casks (‘Foudres’) and blending takes place shortly before bottling.
2007 had more days of Mistral wind during September than any other year except 2001, 1990, and 1978, three other years which produced superb wines. While the average daytime temperature was well above average, the average night-time temperature was among the lowest of any vintage measured in Châteauneuf du Pape, particularly for September. This weather scenario has produced a vintage with extraordinary depth of fruit, yet also laser-like precision, brightness, and exceptional purity. Despite being hotter than normal, the year rarely had any days over 30 degrees Celsius. Moreover, in the month of September, 2007, there were no days above 30°C (86°F), which was the first top vintage since 2001 where this occurred. The other characteristic is that 2007 set an all-time record for hours of sunshine during the course of the year. It was also a record year in terms of the lack of rain in both August and September.
Dark red, with a purple border. The nose is rich, pure, and complex, with notes of black fruits and sweet spices. On the palate, lots of roundness, with soft refined tannins. Finish is long, with notes of black cherry, black berry, and a silky texture. A feeling of youth and freshness emerges. Some aromas from the oak ageing are visible with hints of spices and roasting. A wine with great cellaring potential and with an impressive aromatic expression.
This elegant and modern styled wine shows ripe dark berries, with a touch of 'garrigue' and pepper. The mouth is round, with silky tannins and sweet spices. We have once again these ripe and over ripe dark fruits, cherry and blackberry. If you are lucky to have a bottle, enjoy it right now !
GRAPES: 48% Grenache, 22% Mourvedre, 29% Syrah, 0.5% Cinsault, 0.5% Other
ACIDITY: 4.80 g/l
points of distinction
- Produced by one of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest and most storied estates
- Certified AB Organic – protecting the environment since 1998
- Estate grown, hand harvested, estate bottled
- Average vine age – 40 years
- Perfect for celebrating 10 year anniversaries
about the grape +
Ripe and meaty over elegant, with rose and almond notes, Cinsault’s relatively low tannins typically relegate it to blends with other varieties, as with Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Tavel Rosé.
Grenache is loaded with dense, lusty aromas and flavors of black cherry, blackcurrant, jam, pepper and licorice, with a palate-coating texture and high alcohol.
Mourvèdre makes big, meaty, rustic wines high in alcohol, acidity and tannin, with moderate black fruit characters. Shows aromas and flavors of wild Provençal herbs, leather, mushrooms and barnyard.
Syrah has seductively dense, rich, chewy black berry aromas and flavors, with notes of tar, wood smoke, bacon, leather, chocolate, and sometimes violets. The tannins are firm yet elegant.
– Ralph Garcin, Winemaker
One of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s oldest estates, archives affirm Château La Nerthe’s existence as early as 1560 and suggest an even more distant past dating to the dawn of the region’s wine culture in the 12th century.
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Clavelles Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Cuvée des Cadettes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Clos de Beauvenir Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Villages
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Les Cassagnes Côtes-du-Rhône Rosé
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Château La Nerthe Prieuré de Montézargues Tavel