Barda is made from fruit from a 20-year-old vineyard, and also receives fruit from the “Treinta y Dos” and “Cincuenta y Cinco” vineyards. The fruit was harvested by hand and no automated mechanization was used at any stage of the production process. The grapes were hand destemmed and sorted before moving to small cement tanks for maceration with occasional punch-downs to maximize extraction of color, fruit and tannins. The grapes were fermented with natural yeasts, and the wine was matured in oak barrels before bottling.
Wine Advocate2018 vintage
Smooth with dusty berry, plum, caramel and spice aromas and flavors, this Pinot Noir culminates in a composed and satisfying finish.
Pairs well with roast beef, salmon, swordfish and pastas with meat or seafood sauces.
points of distinction
- A 100% biodynamic and 100% certified organic Pinot Noir
- Made with fruit from two extremely old vineyards, planted in 1932 and 1955
- No mechanization was used at any stage of the harvesting or winemaking process.
- Matured for 11 months in oak barrels, for great complexity
vineyard details +
Cincuenta y Cinco Vineyard
Purchased in 2006, the 1955 vineyard consists of vines planted in that year. These old vines, growing on their own rootstocks, produce reduced quantities of concentrated fruit.
Treinta y Dos Vineyard
This was the founding vineyard of Bodega Chacra, acquired in 2004, and consists of a plot of land still supporting vines planted in 1932. These vines produce tiny bunches of small, concentrated berries. Because of the arid climate in the Río Negro Valley, the root louse phylloxera fails to survive here, and the vines can grow on their own rootstocks, a condition believed to produce superior fruit.
about the grape +
In France, makes a silky, deceptively powerful wine of elegant, complex aromas and subtle, red fruit flavors, with earthy, floral, mushroom and mineral notes. In California, shows ripe, sweet characters.
– Piero Incisa della Rocchetta, Owner
“I wanted to make pure, authentic Pinot Noir with its own special character—and then I found these forgotten, old vines in Patagonia….”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Lunita Pinot Noir
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Mainqué Chardonnay
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Chardonnay
- quick view new Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Chacra Cincuenta y Cinco Pinot Noir
- quick view new Chacra Treinta y Dos Pinot Noir