Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
/ Napa Valley
Each of the four distinctive vineyard blocks that produce this Cabernet, located in the gently sloping western benchlands in the Oakville AVA, is planted with a different clone. Grapes are hand harvested at night, then each lot is separately fermented and barrel aged before blending to forge a uniquely complex and harmonious wine. After the grapes are crushed, they undergo a cold soak, followed by fermentation with a cultured French yeast strain to enhance texture, depth and intensity. The wines then undergo maceration before maturation in French oak barrels.
Fresh, high-toned aromas of black fruit, spice and earth introduce intense, focused fruit and cocoa flavors, bright acidity and full body.
Excellent with rich red meats and game.
points of distinction
- 100% single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- Each lot fermented and barrel matured separately to pinpoint fruit and terroir expression before blending
vineyard details +
Vine Hill Ranch Vineyard
Several special blocks of grapes grown in the acclaimed Vine Hill Ranch, on Oakville’s gently sloping western benchlands, yield the fruit for Cakebread’s single-vineyard wine of this name. The family has purchased grapes from Vine Hill Ranch owner Bob Phillips since 1981. The higher blocks of this vineyard have a sloping grade, gravel soil and mature vines for concentrated fruit; lower benchland blocks have deep, loamy soils and younger vines that lend energy and bright fruit to the wine.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Julianne Laks, Winemaker
“Our emphasis on fruit quality captures the expression of black fruit and rich dark chocolate in the wine.”
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Dancing Bear Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Anderson Valley Pinot Noir
- quick view Cakebread Cellars Lake County Zinfandel