Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon
/ Napa Valley
Vine Hill Ranch is a distinctive blend of two clones of Cabernet Sauvignon from three special blocks in the renowned Vine Hill Ranch vineyard in Napa Valley’s western benchlands near Oakville. Cakebread Cellars has purchased these grapes since 1982, and they have consistently produced singular, long-lived wines. Hand-harvested at night to ensure the fruit’s freshness and varietal purity, each of the three vineyard blocks is fermented and barrel-aged separately. After the grapes are gently destemmed and crushed, the must from each of the three vineyard lots is cold-soaked in small, closed-top, stainless steel tanks for 48 hours to extract color, aromas, flavors and fine tannins prior to initiating fermentation (in the same tanks) with a cultured French yeast strain. Once fermentation completes, the wines enjoy an extended maceration on their skins to fully extract color and flavor and soften tannins. After assessing the attributes of each wine, the three are blended and aged 22 months in French oak barrels, 66% new, to create a uniquely complex and intense Cabernet Sauvignon that speaks eloquently of its terroir.
Wine Spectator2009 vintage
Wine Spectator Insider2009 vintage
Ripe, brooding boysenberry, blackcurrant and black fig aromas, abetted by hints of loam, mineral and toasted oak, preface an immensely concentrated palate featuring deep, lush dark cherry, boysenberry and cassis flavors. Tightly structured by youthfully firm yet supple tannins and fresh, crisp acidity, the Vine Hill displays a density and power found in only the finest Cabernet Sauvignons. It culminates in an incredibly long, savory finish showcasing rich, earthy, black fruit flavors refreshed by cool mineral tones. Truly delicious even in its youth, Vine Hill will flourish with another decade of bottle aging.
Excellent with rich red meats and game.
points of distinction
- 100% single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon from the Oakville appellation
- Each of 3 lots fermented and barrel matured separately to pinpoint fruit and terroir expression before blending
- Matured 22 months in French oak barels, 66% new
vineyard details +
Vine Hill Ranch Vineyard
Several special blocks of grapes grown in the acclaimed Vine Hill Ranch, on Oakville’s gently sloping western benchlands, yield the fruit for Cakebread’s single-vineyard wine of this name. The family has purchased grapes from Vine Hill Ranch owner Bob Phillips since 1981. The higher blocks of this vineyard have a sloping grade, gravel soil and mature vines for concentrated fruit; lower benchland blocks have deep, loamy soils and younger vines that lend energy and bright fruit to the wine.
about the grape +
Cabernet Sauvignon is adaptable to various growing conditions, and is known for its low yield and late ripeness. It generally produces full-bodied wines with substantial acidity and tannins.
– Stephanie Jacobs, Winemaker
“Our emphasis on fruit quality captures the expression of black fruit and rich dark chocolate in the wine.”
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Chardonnay Reserve
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Merlot
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Benchland Select Cabernet Sauvignon
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Dancing Bear Ranch
- quick view Certified Sustainable, Organic or Biodynamic Green Certified Cakebread Cellars Two Creeks Vineyards Pinot Noir