Mont-Redon’s wines are vinified to exhibit deep, clean, intense fruit, ripe, balanced tannins and approachability without sacrificing longevity.
About the Brand
from: Franceshow map
- Mont-Redon is one of the only single-vineyard estates to grow all 22 grape varieties authorized for the Châteauneuf-du-Pape blend.
- The largest single-vineyard estate of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, with land in the Côtes-du-Rhône as well
- Has been in the skilled hands of the Plantin family since 1923
A great cru of Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Château Mont-Redon's superb terroir, constant pursuit of quality and enviable reputation for excellence rank it among the great crus of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. The vineyard has been in the skilled hands of the Plantin family since 1923, and today Mont-Redon is the largest single-vineyard estate of Châteauneuf-du-Pape and one of only two in the entire appellation supporting plantings of all 22 grape varieties authorized for Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Mont-Redon from 1334 to Today
The first mention of the Mont-Redon vineyard, "Mons Retundus," meaning round hill, appears in 1334 in a contract stipulating the vigneron's share of the harvest. By 1856, the vineyard was divided in six parts for purposes of inheritance. In 1923, Henri Plantin acquired some of the original parcels and began to reassemble the vineyard as it now exists: 186 hectares in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, of which 95 hectares are in production, and 35 hectares in Côtes-du-Rhône, with 30 hectares in production.
The third generation of Henri Plantin’s descendants, Jean Abeille and Didier Fabre, jointly own and manage the property today. Their philosophy places the expression of the estate's extraordinary terroir first, in wines vinified to exhibit deep, clean, intense fruit, ripe, balanced tannins and approachability without sacrificing longevity.
A Prime Terroir
Château Mont-Redon is situated in the northwestern quadrant of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation on the high, stony plateau overlooking the Rhône River, considered to be the finest mesoclimate of the region. The Côtes-du-Rhône vineyard, on the opposite bank of the Rhône at Roquemaure, was acquired in the 1980s.